Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Sour Face

Put 40 more dollars in. For those of you that are new to this blog, you probably can tell by the title, I am on my way to a million dollars. I throw a little in here and there into a savings account. I am not telling all the specific financial details of it all. That would get way too personal and I know that. Plus, I think it might be a little bit tacky. But, it is good for me to be accountable, so I do tell of the little "bits" that I put in.

That keeps me from spending it on fast food or other little things unncessarily. For example, this weekend we went for fast food and instead of spending 20 dollars for five of us, we spent 13 each time. No, that is not a million dollars, but it is moving us that way. Yes, it is. It is hard to see that if you are looking at the small picture...

But, if you are looking at the big picture. It is there. It really is there. Every little bit helps. My husband has begun to see it too. "How do you eat an elephant?.......

"One bite at a time" That is his analogy. Not mine. And for those of you that haven't been following this blog, you have to know that my husband has been hard pressed to get on board this goal with me. Anyway,

All that said to say that the whole introduction about the money was to just say, again, for anyone that is new to the blog that I am just going to say that the goal really isn't about the money at all. I say it all the time just to re-empasize it. I have found over and over in my research that the money is just a perk. Most of the people who have money are actually people who live very extraordinary lives. They are champions in many ways that don't have very much to do with money at all.

They became champions within first. They had to win before the money came. You have to succeed before you can get money. Therefore, that is really my goal. To become a success at what I do in my life. To continually stive to become better and better at what I do. It is very hard to do. But, the more I try, the easier it is becoming.

One of the main things that I have had to realize is that no one can do it for me. I have blamed other people for things that have happened in my life, and that is a new concept to me. To take responsiblity for things. That is a hard thing to wrap myself around. Whenever I criticize ANYTHING in anyone, I have had to look at that situation completely different and see it from their point of view and then see how it could apply to me..

That brings me to my point... Did I take too long to get to the point? Maybe... Yeah, that's what I do. (Can you even phathom what my husband has to deal with?)

Yesterday, I was driving through my neighborhood. There were some kids riding on their bikes down the street. They had towels around their necks like they were going swimming, and they were about 10 years old. They were so carefree and looked so happy. All I could think of was how I used to be and how fun those times were.

I slowed my car down to make sure they didn't swerve out into the road in front of me, because kids will be kids. They were so involved in their swimming adventure that I was sure they weren't paying much attention to me. Plus, they were talking to each other across the road and not even looking at my car. But, I didn't care, for I was so happy for them. They were getting to be kids.

Then, a woman came by in another car the other way. She didn't have quite the same attitude that I had. She purposely slammed on her brakes and mouthed, "Damn Kids!" The kids' expressions quickly changed to fear as they went to the side of the road and put their feet to the ground and waited for her to past. The look on her face was so sour and her eyebrows were knit together so tightly that she looked like one of those evil characters on a cartoon. I was scared for the kids.

Don't you remember those adults who were like that? Don't you remember being scared of those people? I felt what those kids were feeling right then, and I was so mad at that lady for making them feel like that. I thought, "Why don't you just let them be kids? Why do you have to be so sour?" I got myself a little worked up about it all in about 10 seconds.

But, then in the next 5 seconds, she had driven away, and I looked in my rear view mirror and guess what I saw? The kids were back on their bikes and their were laughing again. They were riding and they had forgotten the lady with the sour face! They were off for their swimming adventure once again...

How had they done that? Why weren't they mad at her? How had they forgiven her that quick? I thought about it all they way home...

This is what I came up with. Those kids had it all figured out. Her unhappiness just didn't matter. Her unhappiness was not their unhappiness. It was OK for them to be happy and her unhappiness was not directed specifically at THEM. They were able to see it for what it was. A momentary peice of time. They didn't have to hold onto it like we do as adults. We start thinking of things and analzying and questioning everything that people do.

I was so impressed with the way that those children handled that woman's anger. They did stay on the side of the road.. so they did learn from their mistake.

But, they did not let her unhappiness become their unhappiness.

Also, I began to think about her unhappiness and I realized that their could have been a million reasons why she was unhappy. A death in the family, finances, an abusive spouse... so many reasons. But, the fact is, I have to realize that if someone is unhappy, there is a reason. We are born happy and only circumstances make us unhappy.

It is up to me to keep myself happy. I was letting her sour face make me mad. That was unfair in so many ways. I have no idea what she was going through to make her act that way. And, also, how many times have I reacted to situations like that? More times than I care to say, I am sure. I am not sure I have said those exact words, but then again, maybe I have, and I just don't remember. She may not even be aware that she said them.

There are times that I get so overcome with anxiety or grief or exhaustion that it is hard to stay happy, but this is precisly what is required. Because, in the moment, really, the moment, everything can change.

19 comments:

Merisi said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog! :-)

Your beautiful description of the scene with the kids riding on their bicycles, towels wrapped around their necks, reminds me of the beautiful François Truffau movie, "Small Change" ("L'Argent de poche").

P.S.:
Did you see my main blog, Merisi's Vienna for Beginners? More roses coming up there soon! :-)

Elspeth said...

Insightful - your observations in that scene with the children and the woman.

Stacey said...

Hi K.c....
This post is brilliant...

Your goal is to become a success...and I say with your passion, there is no doubt in my mind that you will succeed ;-)

Kids tend to forgive a lot quicker than adults do...unfortunatly some adults tend to bare grudges, and some also forget that they were children once...

Thank you so much for visitng my blog and for your lovely comment, I will definately be a regular visitor to yours :-D

Antonionioni said...

Yes, I totally agree with your sentiments here, KC - spot on again. The kids probably stayed happy because they were having fun, and that lady was not. We all have to take responsibility or our decision to either have fun or not. Kids have fewer responsibilities and so having fun is the main thing they want to do. That doesn't really change as we grow older, but it becomes harder to do it, not so much because of money, because we have more money, but because of having to look after kids, the house, and going to work, mainly. That also leads to resentment of everyone else, especially adults who are still having a good time! But if we all accepted responsibility for what we have done, then we can't blame anyone else, even if life has dealt us some blows. It's up to us to change it for the better. Go for it KC!

Times of Glory said...

Thank you for stopping by and your touching comment. I didn't really know how to reply at first, but as I read you post, it gives me a lot of deep thoughts about money and life. It's a great post with the detailed description and all the inspiration it gave to me...

I felt really "small"... but seriously, I believe you must be a very stylish person as it sounds that you know yourself very well. That's one of the most important things... lots of lots of love xx

Raffy Jay said...

was the examination fun?

moneythoughts said...

Hi KC,

Thanks for checking out my blog Moneythoughts, and thanks for your nice comments. I read some of your blog about the kids and the woman driver. Now I think I understand how you came to my blog about money. I hope you will drop back and perhaps be even kind enough to post a link to my blog MONEYTHOUGHTS.

Good luck with your blog.

Fred

polona said...

wow.. there is a deep message in your story about the kids and the woman... thank you for sharing.

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Hi,

Making more money and living for the moment may sound like conflicting goals in life, but I'm sure you'll manage to do both successfully.
All the best and do visit again.

Beatrice V said...

Insightful KC, a very good reminder throughout our day, that instead of "reacting" to situations, we should slow down a bit to think, and "respond" appropriately. Lots of angst and stress would be saved AND others's problems perhaps even helped by not perpetuating a chain of negative reactions. Hope your goal is going as expected.

Stacey said...

Hi K.C, thank you so much for visiting my blog again....
I really enjoy your site, and great posts.....
You thanked me for mentioning the "Film"...had to pop over to your site again, as I could not remember mentioning a "Film"...I was thinking to myself..uh-oh..memory's gone can not remember (LOL), but then realised I had not mentioned one...and thought thank goodness... my memory is still intact (LOL), still really glad that you did pop over to me again, and happy that you like my poems, thank you, will definately be coming back regularly to your great site... :-D

Andreamuse said...

KC, this is a really amazing post. Thank you for reminding us that happiness is our own business.

Celebration of Life said...

KC,
Howdy from Wyoming! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.

Your story reminds me of what Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "Happiness is not a goal, its a by-product."

Have a good week!
Jo

Sayani said...

ki K.C thats very true observation !!!
i really loved the part where u wrote
we all are born happy ...its circumstances....

very well said loved it

Halfmom, AKA, Susan said...

Hi KC - thanks for you comment an visiting my blog!

Reader Wil said...

Thanks k c for your visit on my blog and your kind words! You are a good story teller and you understand people.

Celebration of Life said...

Hi again KC! Thanks for commenting on my blog again. You are so right! I have a sister who always has a 'sour face'. I can't imagine living my life in such a terrible state of mind.
Jo

anonymous jones said...

Don't let someone else's unhappiness become yours: good advice. But how do you do that and be compassionate? Dunno, I'll have to think about it.

As for the junk food, we recently added up what we spend on average a week and therefore in a year and got quite a shock! Can't afford it anymore so on Thursday nights we have tinned braised steak and onions on toasted white bread. The kids like it just as much!

Raffy Jay said...

Yeah, it happened, when I was just 12 yrs. old.