Monday, May 19, 2008

Summer's here!

Probably my most productive day since I started the blog. My kids are finally out for the summer. And I made my first really productive list in a long time. On that list included:
Ride a Ripstick
Play Soccer
Go to the Park
Play with Blocks
Play with Webkins
Play with Reecey (the dog)
Make Kool-Aid
Throw the Frisbee

I haven't made a list like that, I don't think.... Ever. And my oldest child is 14. Those were the kinds of things that we did AFTER the "important" things got done around the house. Well, since I stay home, I told the kids that they could make their own lists and Mom would follow it during the day this summer. Everything would have to be free on the list. As long as it was something that we could do that would not cost money, then we would do it. If I didn't, then they would put things like "Go to Disneyland", just because they have no real concept of things like that.

On second thought, maybe I wouldn't hate that so much. Put you get the picture. But, what happened was. We were able to do each one of those things that were on the above list today. It took about 6 hours, but my kids were astonished and we had a really good time. And guess what else? Everything else that I needed to get done, well, it gone as well. It just got done a little later. I did my house cleaning beforehand. (For anyone who reads regularly, you know it's a clean-thing with me every day) and then they were fed on time and then well, we played. Most of the day.

And guess what... it was a productive day. Isn't that what we are on this earth for? Isn't that what a mother is put on this earth for? To play with her children? To teach them what love is? To laugh with them? I feel like I spend so much time worrying about things that don't matter a flip to anyone but me. So, as part of my "journey", I am finding out things that really do matter.

And, today, I found that I can actually devote a HUGE chunk of time to my children. I can actually truly enjoy it. I can actually have a great deal of patience while doing it. The world is not going to fall apart if I don't do adult activities that don't really matter anyway. And when the day is over I am going to feel like a better human being for it. My kids went to bed feeling more loved than when they woke up.

Doesn't seem like that would lead to a million dollars. But, the thing is... any thing that makes me feel successful is leading me there. Today was one of the most successful days of my life. And I am the only one that knows it. And that is all that counts.

No comments: