Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It feels like today

This is the first day that I have begun the day wondering... I wonder what is going to happen today? I wonder what experiences are going to come my way? I am going to be on the lookout for people and places that are going to come into my path that are meaningful. That puts a whole new spin on everything. When you look at life as something that is suppose to take place for your benefit, then so many possiblities are open to you.

I just left my daughter's awards program at school. She was so happy to get her paper awards. We have an entire day ahead of us. Who knows who we are going to meet. Who knows what all we are going to be able to do. This may be the day that I stop smoking. This may be the day I am able to run that entire mile. This may be the day that... who knows?

At any time...everything changes. In writing this blog.. someone will read it that I have never met. That changes everything. They may write something to me to open my mind to possiblities that I never thought of.

Who I meet today and how I treat them will change who I am and where I go. It will also change them and where they go. I saw a woman at the store the other day. Her hair looked great. I thought, "I should tell her." I thought about it for a few more minutes and then finally, I did. I walked over to her and I said, " I know this may sound strange, but I just wanted you to know, I think your hair looks great. Great cut."

You know what, she actually got tears in her eyes. She said, "I can't believe you just said that. I was having such a bad day. Thanks so much." I can guarantee you that it changed her day. It also changed mine and the way I look at people. I can guarantee that she probably pays attention to the way she looks before going to the store now, too. This is not a pat on the back for me. Just the contrary. This helps me more than it helps the people that I say it too.

If I see someone in great car, I tell them. They bought it for the recognition, so I tell them. It doesn't hurt me one bit. It gives them a little pick me up. So what if they are vain? It made me feel better for making them feel better in the moment. It made me smile and then I walk away smiling and then it is contagious.

Have you ever seen anyone in the store with a sour look on their face and then you smiled at them and then they smiled back. They really aren't evil after all... They are really probably a great person. We just assumed they were awful.

Okay, so feeling good. Really good. It's a coming! I feel it. The goodness is coming. I wish I could bottle the feeling. It's like when you felt that boy coming toward you that you had the crush on for a month... and you know he is going to talk to you... yeah, it's that kind of feeling.

I'm ready.....

9 comments:

Elspeth said...

This is true - something so simple changing your life and others'. It reminds me of an Og Mandino quote I came across yesterday: "Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster, and do it with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again."

Aleta said...

I loved your post! I think it's a beautiful thing to share kindness. It's free and it helps another person brighten their day.

I remember taking a college class and the professor saying, "This is an experiment. While you are walking to class, smile at the next 10 people that you see on campus and see what happens."

A smile, such a simple thing, and how it bounces off another person - like sunshine!

Raffy Jay said...

of course you're not a sad case. Maybe you just failed to notice it. your uber great to call yourself like that.

Unknown said...

Pay it forward...

Karma

Believe

I'm glad your eyes are open

demsenitoy said...

LOVE IT!:)

Angie said...

thanks for the pick me up ...
i'm gonna follow in ur footsteps in giving in to ple's vanity...
i love when the ple around me feel loved
*thanks*
ur beautiful!!!

(btw...r u a trini?...jus wanna knw where to put u on my blogroll cause i'll be reading for sure... n i jus started with reading this 1 entry)

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Hey, this feeling of yours is infectious, as I read your post, I too, was caught up in it... as Scarlett O'hara said in Gone with the Wind, "After all, tomorrow is another day."

Just Me said...

If only we could bottle that feeling up when it seems something is going to happen. I have had that feeling before and it is wonderful. I can't even remember if anything happened but I do remember feeling like something was going to happen and how powerful and wonderful my day was. Loved this post. I work in a computer helpdesk environment and deal with upset people all day, the first thing I do is smile, sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't:)

Tammy said...

Love this post too! ;)