Sunday, May 4, 2008

Such a dummy

Ok... I have to start somewhere. I have mentioned that I know nothing about investing. The only way I am going to learn is to read. My very first friend that I ever knew is now a multi-millionaire. He and I have been friends since we were infants.

We grew up less than a mile from one another. Went to grammer school, junior high and high school together. Went to college all 4 years together. Our parents spent every Friday night together. I have 2 brothers that I love dearly, and he is like a third.

Watching his success in business and as a person has been remarkable. It is not about the money. That really has been a perk in the whole process. He enjoys having all the pretty things, no doubt. But, it hasn't changed who he is. He loves me just the same. He loves our family just the same. He loves his family just the same. We are all together for all the holidays and any time that he is in town. (He has had to move because of his job.) We talk often by phone and internet. He has a second house here and comes during the summer.

One of the things that he has told me often is to read as much as I can. He says that he reads three or four books a week. I told him that I do the same. I agree that growth comes that way. I was trying to grow a different way as I stated in my last blog. I was trying to get myself out of my "funk". And I did. The book I was reading the last time I talked to him was "Happy for No Reason". He laughed and said, "Well, are you?" I laughed back and said, "Yes, I finally am!" And he said, "Well, it's about time!"

The book he was reading was "Cocktail Economics". I told him that I thought that book was out of my league. He said that I was underestimating myself and that if I could read then I could understand it. And, that if there were things in there that I didn't understand, then it was my responsibility to go out and research them.

That made sense to me. I did go and look up the book on the internet and sure enough, it looked like something that I wouldn't understand. Economics was something that was so boring to me in college. Sooo boring. But.... I guess in order to reach this goal, I am going to have to dive into this area of understanding about economics and investing.

So, I am taking the first steps. I started that today. I typed in "Investing for dummies". And about a jillion websites came up. And surprisingly, I understood them, somewhat. I mean, if so many people have made money doing it, why shouldn't I be able to do it? I am not saying that this is definitely the avenue that I am going to pursue, but I am not discounting it either.

What is the harm in my doing research on investing? I know that I won't jump into anything... will I? I have many people in my family that can guide me on this. Plus, I have my friend who would give me excellent advice along the way. I have to remember that Buffet started with $100.

Either way... On to the other goal today... I actually ran today... not just walked... I ran. It hurt my body, but I did it. I didn't love it, but I did it. Suppose to meet my friend in the morning at 8:15 to walk/run 3 miles. Maybe this will beat out the cigarrettes. I am so sick of them. So, why do I keep picking them up? It's not as bad as it was, but they are still such a part of my life...so sick of them...

Better hop in the bed.. Listening to "Eat, Pray, Love" ...Loving it...I had the many of the same experiences as the author...and they were good (Actually, good doesn't even begin to describe those experiences). Once you have had those experiences, they never leave you.... and you want to share them with everyone... But, that is for another day.

1 comment:

Lil' Brown Hare said...

KC, be sure to include The Motley Fool in your reading. I hear this guy on National Public Radio (NPR) all the time and he gives great investment and economic advice. www.fool.com