Friday, June 13, 2008

Looking Back

So much today. So many observations. I have found that since I have been writing this blog that I notice things more and more. I guess that is a good thing. I have found myself more and more observant of my own actions which I know is a really good thing. I have really made myself more accountable for how I act and what I say.

I find myself thinking about how others act, and then turning it on myself and thinking, "Who are you to judge what they are doing? Haven't you walked down that road a time or two, Missy?" And then I have to blush all by myself and remember that I probably have in the not so distant past. It is embarrassing to realize that I am not perfect. It is embarrassing to realize that I don't have all the answers, even though I want to talk so much and appear like I do.

Today was a perfect example of that. I was at Kroger. This was after going to the DMV to get my driver's liscence updated. I could write at book just on my experience with the DMV. Now THAT is something that I just don't even begin to know how to get ahold of. I don't know where the misery of that organization began. The lack of seating. The miserable employees. The LACK of employees. The hour luch break that doesn't begin NOR end when they post it, so everyone had to wait outside in the heat while they took their lunch....

See, I am not sure where to begin or end on the DMV. In my head I am wanting to keep going on it. But, there are so many emotions and thoughts swirling around about it, that it gets me riled up just thinking about it. And the thing is... I have my driver's liscence now, so does it really matter? It is done... the moment is over and I don't personally have to deal with it anymore. I can sit here and type about how awful the experience was, but is that going to help my life in ANY way? Is it going to help me reach this goal? I'm thinking not... But, wow, it IS hard to move away from the subject... But... I will...I think... Yes, I will....

Okay, on to Kroger, (still thinking of the DMV--it was rough), back in Kroger, I was shopping in the french fries, deciding between crinkle or seasoned and my mind was clearly focused on that. Nothing but that, when all of sudden, I heard "SIT DOWN!".

I looked down the aisle and saw a young woman, long blond hair pulled up in a pony tail. It looked like it had not been washed in a few days. No make up, shirt half tucked in, tennis shoes tied half way.

In the front of the shopping cart was a little girl who was probably a year old. She was squirming to get out of the basket. She was surrounded by one of those new quilted blankets that are fitted to the front of shopping baskets for babies. Next to the basket was a young boy who was around 4 years old who was looking up his mother and holding on to the basket.

"LET GO OF THE BASKET!" And about that time she caught my eye and just dared me to say something to her. She knew that she was being ridiculously over the top. She had to know. She was being so loud and so obnoxious. All I could think in the moment was "How dare you?"

But, then, I thought again. She had taken the time to put her baby in a quilted blanket in the front of the basket. What had transpired before I came down the aisle? Had she told her son several times to do something and he had not? Had I just walked into a single moment and missed something?

I started remembering being with my children when they were little at the grocery store. I remember what a trying time that was. For whatever reason, that is hard, hard thing to do. For anyone that has never done that, it should be a requirement. For those of you who have, you know exactly what I am talking about.

I am not complaining because I was blessed to be able to stay home with my children when they were little. But, at the time, in the moment, I couldn't see it. In the moment, with a basketful of groceries and three small children in a grocery store, I felt the stress. I felt the stares.

I do not remember ever yelling at my children. But, I do remember being unbelievably frustrated with the three people that I loved more than life. And over what? Putting their hands on boxes of organized cereal? I can look back at it now and see the light. I can look at it now and know that it was all situational.

Just like right now when my 14 year old wants to talk on the phone until the wee hours to his friends... will that really be such a big deal in 10 years? Probably not....

When my 9 year old wants to stay up and watch a movie until 2 AM with his big brother... won't I be glad that they had that time together in 10 years? Absolutely....

And my 7 year old... that peanut butter she just got in her hair last night...won't that be a hilarious story, versus such the stressful time it could have been had I not remembered what 10 years down the road will feel like.... I got lucky on that one.

I felt sorry for the lady in Kroger today. I wanted to feel sorry for her children too. But, when her kids go to bed tonight, I bet she hugs them. I bet that she will tuck them in and kiss them. I bet in the morning she will feed them the Lucky Charms that I saw in her basket when I saw her putting them in her car when I saw her leaving.

Some things we see that don't want to see. But today I saw something that I should have seen. It reminded me to be on the lookout for a better part of myself, even in those stressful times. And can't they all be stressful if we let them? But, really, what's the point...

23 comments:

SandraRee said...

Bingo! You got this just right KC. I've been there, done that. :)

btw, about your last visit...click NOT on the picture, click where I say (Click here to see if you're a Labrador Retriever)...give it a go, it would be interesting. ;)

GypsiAdventure said...

Thanks for stopping by...I love meeting new people.

Being a mom is hard at times and it is true that in the midst of a situation, things seem much bigger than they are in hind sight. Parenting can make even the best of us feel as if we're going about it all wrong, but in a new light, we can see perhaps we weren't too far off base.

Great post...
~K

Elspeth said...

I'm glad you're writing more posts now. I look forward to reading of your 'adventures'.

Mim said...

I never spent so much money in the grocery store as when the twins were with me. I would grab stuff as I said, "please sit down, please sit down NOW". And at the same time grabbed the closest and probably most expensive item from the shelves.

On another note, we tried to teach the boys to say please, and that meant using the word alot - to the point where I would say "please" to the dog as in "Please sit Samson" and "Please go outside and do your thing you old dog" etc. Very funny and silly.

: ) said...

wow i never looked at things in that perspective. the more i read your entrys the more i become interested in whats tomorows lesson. thank you

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Thank you for the reminder!!!

Elizabeth said...

I was in a situation yesterday where I was listening to someone pass judgment on others' lifestyles. I became indignant. Who was SHE to judge others? I fumed, until I realized that I was judging her.

D'oh!

Hey Harriet said...

Great post. Yes, there's always more to the big picture than what we 'see' in a snippet. Difficult to remember that a lot of the time though. Thanks for the thoughtful reminder :)

annemariesquilt said...

Hello there and thank you so much for visiting my blogg. All your kind words did warm my heart though I am blushing too.
I am just an ordinary one trying to do my very best.
I can recognize all your thought about yourself. But realy you must be one of the most beautiful persons in blogglandia, because you are able to se people trough their mess, I am realy impressed.
Take care and stay happy!

Shrinky said...

Having been a mum of four kids all under six, and with one living with autism, I well recall the nightmare of the supermarket run (shudder). But you are so right, things pass, and stressful times make you savour and appreciate the good times so much more.

My eldest is now coming up for 17 and family life is sweet - even if it comes with the occassional pinch of heartache, it's worth every piece of it.

Eileen said...

Thank you for the nice comments on my blog. :) And guess what? I am living those 10+ years later, and it really is the small little things. Things you think that were not important are, and visa-versa. :)
Blogging really does help us look at our lives more closely.

Stacey said...

Hi K.C,
We are all guilty of judging before we actually know the full story....there is not one person who could say that they have never judged someone or a situation before...every single person has done this...
Not me though K.C,I am not guilty of this, I have never ever ever judged anyone in all my life...... ;-0
Oh ok then...I hold my hands up and admit that I HAVE been guilty of this.....
Brilliant post, hope that your well :-D

human being said...

fabulous thoughts..
not judging before thinking or knowing about the whole story... this is not a small thing... we should be reminded everyday to master the skill... yes we should learn it...
you're a great teacher... real-life examples teach the best way...

and KC, nobody's perfect... and this makes this world beautiful... the way we try to learn and grow...

cannot miss any of your posts...
love to you

SandraRee said...

What are the traits of a bulldog anyway? You didn't say. :)

Oh, lol... if anyone is reading this wondering what in the world is that woman talking about?! It's from a quiz KC took on my blog.

Aleta said...

It's all in the attitude, what we can focus on and what we decide to cherish. I like how you showed the situation and then if it would truly matter in 10 years. There's something to be said about a parent who has rules and sometimes, it's good to break those same rules. It could create a memory your child will cherish in years to come.


And ohhhh noooo... getting your driver's license ~ say no more, I have to get mine in October and SO dreading it!

Manohar said...

Hi KC,
Nice to see the diversification in your observations. That makes the blog more interesting and many readers identify themselves with it.
Judging others is avoidable but it happens inadvertently.
Reg. your driving license incident, I was under the impression that this type of official apathy and indifference is limited to India and other Asian countries only. So, human nature same all over the world.
Cheers;
manohar

Sayani said...

thast so profound observation ...really at hard times it is difficult ti keep faith on oneself but thats what we shud do then ...a very inspiring post K.C

keep up

wishes
sayani

A Benevolent Sultan for Life said...

Wow K.C , really liked your post .

I am down with exams :( , will be back .

Keep posting ...I will drop by and read them ,

Cheers,
Tyro

Unknown said...

I suppose, the older you grow life sort of becomes a 'been there done that' or something like it.

GypsiAdventure said...

Think of it like this...running is no different than anything else you do in your life. It will only happen if you really WANT to. Think of it like your million...if you don't really want to put that $$ in a jar and save then you won't. You'll take that dollar or five dollars and spend it on something else that you probably don't really need. Running is the same way, if you want to then go out and do something...you have to start somewhere. Take a walk and eventually that will get easy. Then combine a bit of jogging with the walking and then eventually you will feel like you can start really running.

It's like my coach says "If runnings is hard, then you are doing it wrong." Just take your time, go slow and it will happen before you even realize it.

Just Me said...

I know exactly the frustration that lady was probably feeling. I try my best not to go shopping with the kids and if I do, they usually have a cart that I can stick my little boy in. I remember when I had one of those frustrating store times and I must have looked bad because a guy stopped and said "smile". I smiled for a second and then my son started acting up again. *lol*

April said...

Thanks for the blog comments. Honestly, the hardest part about getting into running is starting! And trust me...it's not just you! I had a really hard time getting in the running groove. Keep it up..you'll get there:)

dot said...

Great post. We don't know all the particulars and most the time we just need compassion. I have come to the realization we are all here just doing the best we know how. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the very nice comment.