Monday, June 16, 2008

The slogan

I put $20.00 more into the stash today. For anyone new to this, and I update the purpose everyonce and a while, I am inching my way to a million dollars. If you have read the story of the Tortoise and the Hare, you do know that the Tortoise eventually reaches the finish line.

You know what? I am feeling a little bit smart right now, because I just now, in this very moment thought of that analogy. And the thing is.. the reason stories like that are passed down and taught to children is because they are so true to life, and wow, and wow again, I just applied that to my own life and my own goal. I ROCK!

Since I started with zero dollars , every bit of money that I put in my stash is more money than I started with. I put a little in here and a little in there, and what I am seeing is that I can inch in more and more each day. That is a little more than I had the day before. What I had thought all my life is that every little bit DIDN'T count, but what I am seeing is that every little bit DOES count.

I write my checks at the grocery store for 10 to 20 dollars over and put that into the stash. Meanwhile, I spend less than half than I use to spend on groceries and eating out now. I AM SLASHING PRICES! Yeah, I should start my own ad campaign for myself.

Ah, I just found my niche. Once I reach a respectable number, I am going to sell myself out to teach others how to do it. BUT, I am going to need some good slogans... I just found my first one:

THE TURTLE IS SLASHING HER PRICES--DON'T WAIT OR YOU'LL BE TOO LATE!

Yeah, that was a bit weak... I know, stop throwing cans at me... Ouch! That one caught me upside the headbone!

To get a bit, jut a bit serious again, I have gotten a bit more basic and a bit more profound about it. I was walking down the street at a ballgame and noticed a quarter on the cement. It almost glowed so bright as if it was calling to me. So, I picked it up and went to put it in my pocket. But, then I didn't. I remembered a purse from a slave from "The Richest Man in Babylon",

A slave decided that he would determine that his purse would be his purse of savings. This purse would be where he saved his money only for himself. Once it went in, it could not leave. That money was for him and it was not to be touched. He started with one penny, And with that one penny , he proclaimed that he would fill his purse until it was overflowing. He had the upmost faith in this. It took a bit of time, but not so much.

One tenth of everything that he made went into the purse. Everything else went to creditors, the church, and to his home. But, the sacred purse was his. I now have one such purse.

And it is amazing the faith that I have in this purse. Not because I can touch and rub it like a lamp, it is the fact that I truly have faith that i will do what I need to do to fill it..

I have placed it somewhere so that I have to pass it daily and I give it a little rub and a big thank you. I am not thanking the purse, for the purse doesn't have the power. It is my faith that has the power. My faith that I will be able to fill that purse. It is unwaivering that I will be able to do what i need to do in those moments, whatever they may be.

But, what I need to do is be the best that I can be. It is not all completely about the money. It is sounding like that so far, and I know that.

Oh, one other thing, I had been looking for real money, dollar bill denominations. I had overlooked the money that jingles. No more. This week I have been as thankful as can be to see a penny, a nickel or a dime, or a quarter. They get a jiggle dance and song all the way back to the purse with all kinds of gratefulness.

How I missed that, I have no idea. I guess that was going to come sooner or later. I was a little too dense on the front end to catch that.

This one is looking like it is a lot about money, but it is more about the majic that has occured. How finding small things and being so unbelievably grateful for them. I used to never care about small things and now I almost kneel down at a penny and thank the universe for one, much less two.

It leads me into being thankful in all areas of my life. It is leading me to realize that there are other areas of my life that are also simple that I have not taken the time to be thankful for. I think I am a fairly decent person, but have I really said thanks (not in a corny way) to everyone that I should at everytime?

Maybe I should start. Now with drippy syrup or anything, but I do think that it is warranted in some way. If my mother buys my daughter a bathing suit while she takes her swimming, did I show enough gratitude, or did I just allow her to do it because she always does that type of thing. It is a small thing I know, but maybe it could be a really bigger and nicer thing if I just said "that was awfully nice of you to take care of my maggie today, she looks awfully cute there!" That would make my mother's day.

Just the little things I can find to be thankful for:

When my daughter brings her food to the sink...Yes, that is her job, but do I thank her for that?

When my 14 year old doesn't put down everyone in the room with an attitude for 5 minutes straight...Do I make a point of saying, "I'm glad you are down here with us."

When my youngest son shares his gum that belongs ONLY to him after being asked only 3 times... could I just say Thank you , instead of "Why did it take you so long?"

This journey, I swear, is teaching me so much.

Those were little things around the house that just cropped up, but they are everywhere....

At the drive through, for extra ketchup... thanks...

At the Movie theatre, for the lack of a hassle... Thank you...GOD THANK YOU

Anywhere that anyone goes out of their way in the slightest for me, I have to know that they did that just for me. They deserve at the least, very least, a smile. Then a thank you. I would love to be sure that I go that extra mile and say to them, "You made my day".

That truly does change people, really and truly. The next few people that come in contact with them will be treated so well. Then that will start a chain reaction that will last for many many hours. And it can reach 100's if not thousands of people. It is so powerful .

And really it can start with one person acknowledging another human being's genuine kindness.

I hope that i can remember that tomorrow when I get up in the morning and see my childrens' faces, for that is where ultimate kindness starts... with little bedheds...

11 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Just read a bit of your blog. You are right - having a goal is so important. Without goals, whatever they may be, we muddle through life. How do you know where you are if you don't know where you are going? Keep strong-you are heading in the right direction!

man in painting said...

Wonderful post.I have been going through many blogs these days.What i foumd in your writing is a sense of honesty and love.
It was pleasure reading your post.
keep posting.
me too blog.
do visit.
bye
take care.

RiverPoet said...

I am so glad you're filling that purse. I have been thinking about taking the bill paying back over because hubby kind of hides everything from me. I don't know if we've gotten step one out of the way yet (of Dave Ramsey's recommendations). It's very upsetting to be in the dark. Good for you that you are doing this. Peace - D

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This journey, like any, is accomplished one step at a time. Your grateful expressions along the way will make the trip such a happy one! Great post, best wishes.

Elspeth said...

This is all so true and very inspiring. Even though you're talking about money, you are talking about everything that can be achieved. Those little steps - so important and powerful. I have also been feeling similarly about gratitude. This morning coming back from my walk I picked up a mango from the ground and felt so deeply grateful for it, as though nature had left a huge gift there just for me. I never felt that way about picking up a mango before.

SandraRee said...

So so true, everything ...I especially like where you wrote, "It leads me into being thankful in all areas of my life" That statement alone can change lives. Wonderful post, KC!

Elizabeth said...

It all counts. Every little bit.

Arundathi said...

lovely blog - it really does make you stop and think. thank you. and thanks for visiting my blog... :-)

Resurgence said...

Now this is my first visit to your blog and have read only this post but please accept a sincere admiration for the content and writing. How do you manage to fit in so many things in a single thought train? The inspiration from childhood stories to the dream of fulfilling the cherished goal to acknowledging the significant role by every little gesture from the ones around us. I am sure I will never be this mature in my entire life. Keep on your effort of making us a part of your journey to your destined goal. Will love to visit your blog often to be a part of that ride.

Martini Cartwheels said...

"And really it can start with one person acknowledging another human being's genuine kindness."

Could not agree with you more on that point.

Inspirational blog you have here. And thank you for your visit the other day.

CrossView said...

I, too, have been on a "mission" to capture those moments that I had overlooked. To see the little kindnesses that pop up that should be significant and could lead to more. Which also leads to letting go of the little irritations- they don't matter, anyway. =D