Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Everything's a story

Okay, put 20 more dollars in. Yeah, I put a penny in too. I have to be honest. I was more excited about that penny then I was about the 20 dollars. It is a little bit easy to go and get that 20 dollars out of my husbands wallet and put it in the cash stash, but finding those hidden pennies... not so easy.

The point of getting the money out of Tony's wallet is so that we do not spend it on unnecessary things. I am taking the money and putting it into an account little by little. And then when there is enough... well, to be honest.. I just don't know. I don't know if we will invest... I guess that is what we will do.

I don't know if we will open a franchise of some sort. Maybe..

One of my best friends that I grew up with now has 35 fast food restaurants. They started with just one when we were in high school. That is a thought as well. We live in a very fast growing city. Things are going up everywhere. They are talking about opening about 25 Dunkin Doughnuts in our area. Maybe we should jump on that bandwagon... I dunno.

It just doesn't feel right. Just because one of my best buds from school did it, does that mean that it is my road? Just doesn't feel right. And is that how you are suppose to live your life? I am just not so sure.

Would I want to get up every day at 3 AM to make doughnuts just for the dough? (God, that was terrible.. I am thinking of erasing it, but since I never, ever come up with any kind of pun, I'm going to leave it in..)

Either way.. back on point. I do know that I want to reach this goal. I do know that. I do know that I don't have to reach it tomorrow or next week. I do know that it is not about the money, it is about doing what it takes to become the type of person that makes that type of money.

And right now, I am in the middle of just learning a few life lessons that I have missed for 41 years. And how is it that you miss it? I guess because you are so busy living that you just miss the lessons in it all.

However, now that I am paying attention, it is making life so much more interesting. For example, right now, I am sitting here looking around the room. There are so many things sitting in this room that I pass everyday and pay very little attention to. Why is that? How is it that I have forgotten the meaning of each thing?

For example, right next to me here on my desk is a pen. Not just any pen, but the Majic Kingdom pen that my daughter bought last fall at Disney. How is it that I don't stop and smile each and every time I look at that pen like I am doing right now? Just thinking of her going on Space Mountain... geez, it was so fun. Her hair flying everywhere, me screaming like a small child.. so fun.

Next to that is the Ipod cord. Everytime I look at that I think of my son. My Parker, who constantly has that Ipod in his ears. BUT, the look on his face the day we gave him that Ipod. It was his birthday and weren't we good? We had really convinced him that there was no way that he was going to get it. Even though he HAD made straight A's. Even though he was everything we could want in a son. Yeah, that cord has some significance..

Next to the cord is a white sheet of paper. On that paper are some scribbled numbers. Just some numbers that my son Cole and his friends were writing on today while trying to figure out a puzzle while playing on the computer. They were so loud that I had to tell them to be quiet. But, for the most part, when I see his handwriting, doesn't it make me smile? Doesn't it remind me of how smart that kiddo is? How much he works during school and never has to be told to do his homework? And today, when I had to tell them to be quiet, it was only because they were laughing so much.. not so much of a crime there. Maybe I won't throw that paper away anytime soon. It might have a bit of significance to it.

Everything in my home has a story behind it. Everything. I want to experience my life to the fullest and know that I am going on this incredible journey for the right reasons. I want to look around me and remember what it is that I truly enjoy and that is what I want to build on.

I want to go where my heart leads me. I have never really understood what that means. I have heard it my whole life, but it always seemed like a lot of "pie in the sky" talk to me. But, I really do think there may be something to that. Those people might just know what they are talking about.

For some reason, I have been able to live in a time in history that has computers and automobiles and televisions. I live with not only running water, but bottled water that I am drinking at this very moment. But, more than that, I have finally, finally been given the gift of gratitude.

Somehow, I was never grateful for all of this. I just assumed that it was there for the taking. I never realized that all of this was, maybe, a gift. And we all know that the proper way to accept a gift is with a thank you.

So, now, each day is greeted with a thank you. Each surprise is greeted with a thank you. And there are so many surprises every day. There have always been those surprises, but I didn't notice them before. Now, I do notice, and because I do, more and more seem to be coming.

Therefore, I know, by what has been coming, that there will be such a better tomorrow. It makes me so excited to hear the phone ring, to hear the door bell, or to even hear my child call my name. Because with each one, that means that there must be something new.

When you know that the world is working in your favor, then there is no end to the possiblities. So, I think I might just have to pass on the Dunkin Doughnuts for now...

8 comments:

Shrinky said...

It's so true KC, happiness and contentment mainly boils down to a conscious state of mind - so many people CHOOSE to be miserable, it's so easy to overlook the good and to highlight the bad. I think most of us have done that at some point in our life. There is a whole store of reasons to be grateful, and we would be far richer to remember that every now and then.

Macadamia The Nut said...

After reading this.. I feel like coming over to your place to ask you if I can borrow your shoulders to cry on for a while. Weird isn't it?
*hugs!* You sound SO adorable! And so does your family!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words yesterday on my blog! I wanted to email you but no email on your profile.

Anyway, you have an interesting thing going here. I like this post... any goal should never take the place of gratitude! Even the little things can make us remember how privileged we are.

have a great day,

Elsie

Aleta said...

It's the little things in life that make me happy. I think when we look for the happiness, we find it.

It's all in the attitude. I enjoyed your post and how you shared about the things in your home. I'm going to take a closer look at mine and appreciate it again.

Thank you for reminding your readers!

SandraRee said...

Beautiful, beautiful post, KC. I see more and more in your writing that astounds and gratifies me every time I visit your blog. Great post. :)

Liz said...

Thanks for popping by my blog - I thought I'd check you out as well... One of the "chores" my two little ones have around the house if putting found money into the money jar. Whenever they find change around the house they put it in the jar - just last year it was somewhere between $200 and $300. Seems all those quarters add up after all...

As for the whole gratitude thing, kudos to you. So many people just don't care. It is nice to come across those who do. :)

GypsiAdventure said...

I love that line, "there is not end to possibilities" - so very true. When we stop taking things forgranted and learn to appreciate it...the sun seems to shine a little brighter.

Great Post!
~K

Unknown said...

I greatly admire your love and respect for family values! I can tell from your choice of word that you have a wonderful family. I am really looking forward to joining my family soon and the thought of that brings life to my soul!
Sincerely, there are some people that are really worth all the sacrifice and pains. Life is beautiful if it is shared with those people you can't live without!

You get to appreciate life more, when you know that you are loved and there are people always there for you!

Nice post...