Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Putting out the chairs

Umm, yea, well... see, if I were going to.. well, Yeah.. that's right..

Geez, Louise.! That is exactly how most of the answers to my interveiw questions went today. I finally got to go and interveiw with the county office concerning the teaching position. And this 6 year veteran of the teaching field is a bit out of practice. YA THINK???

Can you tell that I have stayed home with children for 5 years. I completely forgot to put my big people vocabulary back in. Wow, and wow. I felt like something out of the Twilight Zone in there. And lucky that I wore black because I was sweating profusely. While trying to maintain that professional look.

The Assisstent Superintendent to the God of the Schools kept telling me I was doing fine while she nodded her head in complete exasperation because she was basically having to make up answers for me.

I promise, the last time I was a teacher, my principle just gave me the job... no interviews. And when I became a nurse, it was basically the same thing. Short and sweet. This hurt me.. HURT ME!

I finally said, "I promise I am a good teacher. Really... Please check my references. I am obviously just hidieously lacking in the interveiw department." She chuckled a bit, but she didn't exactly giggle like I would have preferred.

What she did do then was turn back in my file to my references, and though I couldn't really see them, I did lean forward enough to get somewhat of a peek. And sure enough, there they were. My former principal, vice-principal and a subordinate teacher had sent in their recommendations for me. And from all the handwritting that I saw, they wrote a novel. I could tell by the circled adjectives that they wrote some very nice things.

I was touched and was almost brought to tears right there in the room. I have come along in this journey long enough to realize that this was something special that they did for me. They had to take time out of their very busy days, fill out the very long forms, walk out to their mailboxes and send those forms in for me, in hopes that I would get this teaching job that I want.

Not one person, but three. And they all did it. These are three people that I admire. And they did that for me. That is why I do believe in angels on earth who can change your world. I have no idea exactly what was said on those forms, but I do hear the flapping of wings... that I do know.

It reminded me of how people do things all the time for others behind the scene, and it is never even noticed. I have mentioned before how my son plays the guitar. We are working on getting him in where we can. Right now, he has his sights set on playing on the stage with the big band at the church that we are visiting. It is a large stage with a rather large band.

The first day that we went, that is what caught his eye... the guitar player. Well, it is an adult band, but Parker said he would definitely be able to play up there, even at 14. So, I told him I would have to figure out who had to be spoken to, etc. Also, I felt sure we would have to join the church first.

JUST SO HAPPENS, (isn't that always the way), a good friend of mine from high school goes to church there. He had moved to Nashville to do his music thing there. But, just recently has moved back to our home town due to parental illnesses. Now, lo and behold, he is working at this church. Hmmmm.... I called him and told him I needed Parker in with someone who knew what was going on...

Also, saw another friend at this church from school (remember, we've been out 20 years) and this girl is also friends with the Nashville guy. I tell her about Parker and seeing Nashville... She says great...and so on...

Okay, so everyone says great... We go to a few lessons with Terry and then it peters out a bit... So, I am wondering maybe that wasn't the path I thought it would be..

But, then I see them at a ball game, My girl friend and she says... By the way, I e-mailed Parker's name to Danny, our youth minister, he is dynamic and he is incredible with the guitar... that is who Parker needs.

I see Terry a week later who says.. "By the way, I e-mailed Parker's name.... you get the picture..."

There were unseen angels working for my Parker for his future that we didn't even know about. And now Parker is playing his guitar with the band on Sundays. Just like that. The music director is fantastic and will push my 14 year old in the direction with the contacts he needs.
I was floored.

That leads me to one story that I am not sure I can make it through. We have friends that we grew up with, Gary and Stacy. College sweethearts. 3 kiddos. Had it all. Affluent neighborhood.
Everybody want to be them. Then one morning...it's all done... Stacy never made it to her destination....she was killed on the way. 36 years old. Yeah, that changed that world forever....

What do you do? What can you do? People were scrambling EVERYWHERE... Their house was packed. More food than you could even begin to eat. More errands being run for no reason because no one knew what they could do.... More e-mails being sent to just say something... Just anything....

But, the night before Stacy's funeral, life went on in the church. The kids had basketball practice like they usually do. This would be the same site as the funeral. So about half way through the practic, a husband and a wife that were good friends of Stacy's were there at the church putting out the chairs for the funeral. They were doing this all by themselves. There were to be over 1000 people there. And David and Ashleigh were there in their own quiet way doing this enormous task at 9pm on a Monday night, even though they had 3 children of their own. They found a way to have someone watch their children while they made sure that those chairs were placed properly for their friends funeral.

They spoke not a word while they did it. All I could do was sit in the back and weep while I watched them. For, it took me back to a time when I remembered feeling very, very alone. It was when my father died. I had so many times that I saw the people there, but I had no idea what those faces meant. And by watching David and Ashleigh put out the chairs, I now knew.

Everyone who came to me for my father had done something to be there. They had left work, or they had cooked. Or they had arranged babysitting. Or they had cried all the way. Or they had ordered flowers.

Or, maybe, just maybe, they had set out the chairs...

7 comments:

Corryna said...

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog. I read some of your articles and must say that I formed an image of you in my head. The image of a kind lady who loves here family and is able to get joy from the little things in life. Hold on to that. Things you remember are the things that are most important. That is why I alway love to travel, meet people and go on holidays.

Preeti said...

There really are angels...That is something I've come to believe as well...And that God works through people...There have been sooo many instances where I would've fallen into something that would've sucked me into it and never let me out, but I've always,a wlays miraculously gotten out just when things would've gone entirely downhill...

And it always serves to be nice..You're nice and you get nice things in return...As simple as that maybe?

Then again, I'd also call it destiny :) So many names for just one thing- goodwill! :)

P.S: You're my inspiration to start saving...! Not a million dollars, but anything 1/4th the way would be good enough, I presume :) Hope I succeed!

Unknown said...

As I read this post, some lines from a poem I wrote when I was in the University kept playing on my mind...

Our best easily wanes,
Erased from our memory lane
To us, it seems concealed
But to others, it is revealed!

Those little things that we don't really see as important, are the things that matters most in the making of our destiny! Whichever we see life, the value we place on people would to large extent determine what they become to us: an angel or a devil!
That little act of kindness or wickedness might have evaded us, and it might even appear to be lost in time but somehow, life has a way of rewarding us in the same measure.
...Only remembered by what we have done!

Nice blog!

P.S: I am greatly inspired by your blog and I can't wait to read from you.

Aleta said...

What a beautiful post that brought tears to my eyes. I believe we are angels with each one wing and when we need help, a hug can lift us away from the troubles.

Thank you for sharing and especially the last story, very touching...

human being said...

impressive and powerful post

yes every little thing we do really makes a difference somehow...
the poem Dammy wrote says it all.

SandraRee said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you KC on this teaching job! :)

Definition of an angel: "It reminded me of how people do things all the time for others behind the scene, and it is never even noticed"

Lavinia said...

So san when young life is snuffed out like that....